Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cutting Newborns finger nails..?

Im 8 months pregnant, and were having a boy next month, and My boyfriend is really going on about ';your not supposed to cut the babies fingernails for one year'; He says somewhere he read that you should chew off the newborns finger nails for the first year, otherwise the baby will grow up and be a criminal... has anyone ever heard of such nonsense before?





I told him the dr. will cut the fingernails once he's born because they will have already been growing, and he said he would yell at her if she does... What the hell is wrong with him?


I sure as hell am not going to chew off my baby finger nails because they will rip or tear or hurt him, but i cant get my boyfriend to let me cut the nails with nail cutters...any suggestions?...Cutting Newborns finger nails..?
I never heard that, but I would bite my sons off b/c the first time I used the clippers on him at a month or so old I cut his skin w/ the clippers...it was easier to bite them off.....then once he was around 10-11 months old I used the clippers again....just my prefrence though!Cutting Newborns finger nails..?
Your boyfriend is either joking with you or is, forgive me, an idiot. That is NOT true, you absolutely need to trim your child's nails, and the best, most hygenic, and truly easiest way is to cut them with tiny nail clippers. Your child will not become a criminal because you cut his nails.





That said, some people do prefer to bite off their kid's nails, typically when they're soft after a bath, because it's easier for them - but I've always thought that was a bit gross.
INTERESTING... (looks around to see if anyone else thinks her s/o is nuts) lol!





Seriously, I bit my children's nails until aroung 9 months of age. Their nails, at birth and for many months afterward, are very VERY soft, though sharp and fast growing. Also, because they are so soft, and because nature was perfectly wise in the way newborns are created, they follow a fault line along the ridge of the underlying skin.





This faulting along with the nails being so soft and bendable makes it hard to differentiate between nail and surrounding skin. Often, skin is cut accidently, or the nail just bends instead of getting cut off.





So, I bite em. The faulting line makes it so they tear right where they should, without any tearing into the surrounding skin. AND, it's not to keep them out of jail, though, simply because it is easier and less chance of getting too much/not enough.
That's why you shouldn't sleep with fifteen-year-olds without _extremely_ reliable birth control...
I have shaky hands and poor eyesight, so I've never even tried clippers on my 8 month old. My mom does (haha) but I just gently nibble them off, or they break off on their own. I don't think it's going to make him a criminal if you cut them, or whathaveyou... but whatever is more comfortable for YOU is probably the best idea. If I tried to use clippers, I would end up hurting my baby...
don't bite your baby's nails off~ use a nail clipper...





I've never had trouble w/ cutting my baby's nails~ but I know some people find it easier to cut the baby's nails while the baby is sleeping,
LOL!! That's riduclous about being a criminal. I don't clip my newborns nails but I do bite them off. I feel like I have more control with my mouth. I've tried with the clippers and Ive gotten to close to the skin so I just bite them off.
tell him to find the true source of his knowledge, not just ';I heard it somwhere';. If he finds a valid source then you will listen to his advice. But he won't of course!!!





ps, he sounds like a real jerk.
he don't know what he's talking about... my sister had a baby in Nov. she cut her nails... It's perfectly ok... ask your doctor and see what he says... tell your bf what the doc said


good luck
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can bite them off though.
I have heard of biting them off insteed of using clippers but I never heard that using clippers makes them grow up to be criminals. My husband believes if you cut the babies hair before they are 1 they will never learn to talk though. I don't know where they come up with this stuff.
NO thats so far from the truth! You can to clip your babys nails, but i was always afraid to because i might cut him, so i just would chew them off. it was so much easier and you can do it when they sleep and you wont have to fight them for their fingers.


good luck
The doctor wont cut ur babies nails after birth. The hospital i went to wont even give u nail clippers to cut them. My son scratched his face up bad right after birth. My husband had to go purchase clippers and mittens after he was born. Its tricky cutting the nails after they start to move around. Also the trick is to do it while sleeping. Dont ever bite the nails tho.
YUCK! I had never heard that one. I am seriously laughing about biting them off! My 18 month old wouldn't sit still for that.





They sell baby nail files. The grit on them is super fine, and they barely feel it. They are even teeny tiny. Go buy those, and file down the nails...





I promise it is not worth this stress.





By the way, even if you did cut them with clippers... HOW WOULD HE KNOW? Is he with you all day? Just don't tell him. Be careful about the skin!
is your boyfriend a pediatrician? if not, then don't listen to him.
Is this ';boyfriend'; the father of your baby? If he doesn't have enough sense to marry you and make this child legit, I wouldn't listen to any of his moron ideas about babies.





Carefully trim your little ones fingernails in the hospital when he is asleep. They are born with long fingernails that are sharp and can scratch themselves, possibly in the eye. Use infant clippers.





The last baby I had, the nurses refused to cut them and let me do it. They are very thin and if there was a chance of cutting the finger, they wanted the mommy to be responsible. Not a big deal. But I would NOT bite them off...like you said, they could tear and then get infected!
If your boyfriend won't listen to you, maybe the doctor can tell him that baby clipper is the only safe way to do it, or you could injure the baby. Your bf is off his rocker. If he were right 99.9% of people would now be criminals.





Tell him in the face of the baby's safety and the medical profession, the burden is on him to provide one teeny tiny scrap of evidence for his outrageous claim.





Otherwise just clip the nails when the bf isn't around. But really you shouldn't be with anyone who would put insanity before his own baby's well-being.
Many moms chew their infants fingernails off because they find it easier. It is soooooo easy to cut the baby's fingers with nail cutters - I did once really badly and after that I didn't cut his nails for months hubby had to do it. The nails won't really rip or tear if you chew them off.





In any case you have to do what is right for you, but seriously if you can't even have a discussion about something this trivial with your baby's father you need to work on that FAST.
clip then when the baby is sleeping, have the dr. tell him its ok to use nail clippers, them maybe he'd understand
Never heard anything like that before. You need to have him show you proof of his belief and tell him if he can't (which I bet he won't) then you are going to gently file your soon to be newborns nails.


Buy a nail file defined as ';fine';.
I also tried to postpone cutting my 2 month old babies finger nails but it grew so mush that she started scratching herself until it bleeds, i then bought special gloves for babies to prevent them from scratching themselves, but then she cant feel and touch. One day while I was giving her bottle I asked my husband to hold the bottle and I then cut her nails. It was as easy as pie. When you are ready don't be anxious, it will just interfere with your concentration

No comments:

Post a Comment